Blog yOur Mind

NKorea threatens “WAR” over satellite shootdown

Posted on: March 9, 2009


AP – 47 mins ago

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea said Monday its armed forces are “fully combat ready” and that they will retaliate against any attempt to intercept its planned satellite launch, which neighboring goverments suspect might be a missile test.

The harsh rhetoric came as the United States and South Korea kicked off annual war games involving tens of thousands of troops, which the communist nation has condemned as preparations for an invasion.

The joint drills across South Korea began as concerns mounted that Pyongyang could be gearing up to test-fire a long-range missile capable of reaching U.S. territory. North Korea says what it plans to launch is a communications satellite, but neighboring governments believe it is a cover for a missile test.

“If the enemies recklessly opt for intercepting our satellite, our revolutionary armed forces will launch without hesitation a just retaliatory strike operation not only against all the interceptor means involved but against the strongholds of the U.S. and Japanese aggressors,” the general staff of the North’s military said in a statement.

“Shooting our satellite for peaceful purposes will precisely mean a war,” said the statement, carried by Pyongyang’s official Korean Central News Agency.

U.S. and Japanese officials have suggested that they might shoot down a North Korean missile if it’s deemed necessary.

The North’s military also ordered all personnel to “be fully combat ready” so that they could “deal merciless retaliatory blows” at the enemy, KCNA said in a separate dispatch.

The United States and South Korea have conducted annual military exercises a few times a year for decades, and Pyongyang has routinely condemned them as rehearsals for invasion.

In the run-up to the drills that began on Monday, the North has also stepped up its war rhetoric. Claiming the maneuvers pose grave threats to its security, the North last week threatened South Korean passenger planes flying near its airspace.

Seoul and Washington have repeatedly said the drills, which involve involving its 26,000 military personnel in South Korea, an unspecified number of southern soldiers and a U.S. aircraft carrier, are purely defensive.

Advertisements
Tags: ,

2 Responses to "NKorea threatens “WAR” over satellite shootdown"

We are not going to shoot down their communication satellite. We just are going to have a interceptor missle test, the same day.

See my blog at http://www.ravingspib.blogspot.com

US and South Korea are starting a computer war-games drill tomorrow for a week.

North Korea are looking at this with suspicion and offering some big theory’s as to what the two allies are up to.

Check it out at – http://securityscene.wordpress.com/2009/08/16/us-south-korea-drill-0001608/

Thanks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

WHEN NOTHING GOES RIGHT, go left

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 55 other followers

DISH MENU

PREVIOUS MENU

CASHIER COUNTER

  • 270,869 UFOs
%d bloggers like this: